The Pickelhaube was originally designed in 1842 by King Frederick William IV of Prussia, perhaps as a copy of similar helmets that were adopted at the same time by the Russian military. It is not clear whether this was a case of imitation, parallel invention, or if both were based on the earlier Napoleonic cuirassier. The early Russian type (known as “The Helmet of Yaroslav Mudry”) was also used by cavalry, which had used the spike as a holder for a horsehair plume in full dress, a practice also followed with some Prussian models (see below).
This German Pickelhaube Helmet is handmade of 18 gauge steel. Some differences in appearance and size may occur. It features a spiked top and chin strap with lots of brass accents, including a brass eagle above the brim bearing an inscription that reads “Mit Gott Fur Koenig und Vaterland.” (With God for King and Fatherland.)
This helmet is full sized and wearable for costume purposes.
The helmet stand is not included.